Beach Cities Health District's (BCHD) Youth Advisory Council is comprised of more than 80 middle and high school students (grades 8-12) from Hermosa, Manhattan and Redondo Beach schools. The Youth Advisory Council is a youth-led committee focusing on the health and well-being of their Beach Cities peers.
|Grade||# of members|
Youth Advisory Council members:
- Act as ambassadors and leaders of health by connecting students with resources, events and information
- Offer advice and recommendations on health issues affecting Beach Cities youth including: alcohol and other drug use, smoking, vaping, marijuana, stress, anxiety, depression, suicide and sexual identity to discuss prevalent trends and solutions
- Evaluate effectiveness of the youth programming provided by BCHD, like mindfulness events and the purpose workshops
- Develop programming for activation events at middle and high schools on topics including student mental health and substance use
- Serve a term of one year, attend four quarterly meetings and are recognized by BCHD’s publicly-elected Board of Directors
- Have the potential to gain community service hours for their time on the Youth Advisory Council
Beach Cities Health District Youth Advisory Council application process for the 2019-2020 school year is closed.
For more opportunities to get involved at BCHD, please browse our current volunteer service opportunities and complete an application. For additional information, please email email@example.com or call 310-374-3426 ext. 246.
Youth Advisory Council meetings will be held at Beach Cities Health District (514 N. Prospect Ave., Redondo Beach) on Tuesdays from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Meetings for the 2019-20 school year are scheduled on the following dates:
- Sept. 17, 2019
- Oct. 22, 2019
- Nov. 19, 2019
- Jan. 14, 2020
- March 17, 2020
- April 21, 2020
For questions about the Youth Advisory Council or the application process, please contact Shana Martinez, firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 374-3426 ext. 161.