Interested in serving on the allcove Youth Advisory Group? Stay tuned, more information about allcove Youth Advisory Group still to come. If you’re interested in more information or to serve, join our interest list HERE.
Beach Cities Health District's (BCHD) Youth Advisory Council is comprised of more than 80 middle and high school students (grades 8-12) from Hermosa, Manhattan and Redondo Beach schools. The Youth Advisory Council is a youth-led committee focusing on the health and well-being of their Beach Cities peers.
|Grade||# of members|
Youth Advisory Council members:
- Act as ambassadors of health by connecting peers with resources, events and information.
- Raise awareness of and offer recommendations on health issues affecting Beach Cities youth including alcohol and other drug use, smoking, vaping, marijuana, stress, anxiety, depression, suicide, social justice, race, healthy equity and sexual identity to discuss prevalent trends and solutions.
- Develop programming for activation on topics including student mental health and substance use.
- Have opportunities to advocate for and implement solutions to address youth health issues through public speaking opportunities and supporting media content including videos, photoshoots, flyers and presentations.
- Serve a term of one year, attend 8 council meetings, complete volunteer orientation, follow ground rules, communicate schedule conflicts in advance, gain community service hours for time on the Youth Advisory Council during meetings and additional activities and be recognized by BCHD’s publicly elected Board of Directors. Additional office hours and brainstorming sessions with staff may also be available.
- Students applying for leadership positions will go through a virtual interview process. Students selected for a leadership position will attend Leadership Orientation prior to the start of the Youth Advisory Council and attend 3 additional leadership meetings throughout the school year.
Beach Cities Health District Youth Advisory Council application process for the 2021-2022 school year is closed. Those selected for the Youth Advisory Council will be notified via email by 6 p.m. on October 1, 2021.
Available for download:
Youth Advisory Council meetings will be virtual via Zoom and held on Tuesdays from 4 – 5:30 p.m.
Meetings for the 2021-22 school year are scheduled on the following dates:
- Oct. 19, 2021
- Nov. 16, 2021
- Dec. 14, 2021
- Jan. 11, 2022
- Feb. 8, 2022
- Mar. 15, 2022
- Apr. 19, 2022
- May 17, 2022
*If schools return to in-person learning we may resume in-person meetings guided by all CDC protocol.
For questions about the Youth Advisory Council or the application process or difficulty completing the application, please contact Emory Chen, Youth Services Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org and Cindy Carcamo, Youth Services Associate, at email@example.com.
For more opportunities to get involved at BCHD, please browse our current volunteer service opportunities and complete an application. For additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 310-374-3426 ext. 246.
Watch the Youth Advisory Council give advice to parents
Watch the winning video from Mental Health Awareness Week at Mira Costa High School
Learn about Youth Advisory Council's Substance Use Campaign, #EscapeTheVape here
COVID-19 Health & Safety Posters created by students from BCHD’s Youth Advisory Council
- What does 6 feet physical distancing look like?
- Be smart. Have a Heart. Stay 6 feet apart.
- Stay Home if You Are Sick
- Stay Home: Text Message
- Feeling Sick? Stay Home
- How to Wash Your Hands
- A Few Times You May Want to Wash Your Hands
- 20 Second Lyrics
- STOP. Before you leave home, have you...
- Guide to Face Masks
- Note to Parents/Guardians on Face Masks
- Guide to No-Sew Face Masks
- How to Use Face Masks
COVID-19 Health & Guidance Videos created by students from BCHD's Youth Advisory Council
- Tips and Guidance for Washing Your Hands
- What Does Physical Distancing Look Like?
- Elevate Your Look With Face Masks
- Face Mask: Mythbusting