Beach Cities Health District (BCHD) partners with South Bay Families Connected to offer a variety of free, monthly parent education events, including the Families Connected Speaker Series and Families Connected Parent Chat.
South Bay Families Connected is a not-for-profit whose mission is to improve the social and emotional wellness of area youth by supporting parents in their efforts to help their kids reach their full potential and live healthy, fulfilled lives. South Bay Families Connected offers parents free resources, education and opportunities to connect around parenting issues and challenges, including helping kids navigate the new social media landscape, to reducing the likelihood that they will use drugs and alcohol.
Enjoy these opportunities to connect with other parents and discuss shared challenges:
Families Connected Parent Chat
Wondering if your child is experimenting with drugs or alcohol? Striving to create balance in your household and manage family and student stress? Seeking guidance about rule setting and boundaries around social media and technology? Families Connected Parent Chat is held on Tuesdays starting on September 14th and is a free support group led by a licensed professional from the Thelma McMillen Center at Torrance Memorial Medical Center. This free support group is open to all parents. No registration necessary.
- Resuming weekly sessions on September 14: Every Tuesday, 10 – 11am
- No sessions on the following days:
- November 23, December 21 & 28
Families Connected Speaker Series – now available as a virtual event!
To register for the Families Connected Speaker Series, view past events and for more information about other parent engagement opportunities, please visit www.southbayfamiliesconnected.org.
Families Connected Parent Advisory Group
In the 2017-2018 school year, Beach Cities Health District and South Bay Families Connected convened the Families Connected Parent Advisory Group. This group, composed of parent representatives from Hermosa Beach City School District, Manhattan Beach Unified School District and Redondo Beach Unified School District, meets quarterly to discuss current youth-related issues and pertinent topics at individual school sites, district-wide and throughout the Beach Cities community.
The Parent Advisory Group role is to:
- Connect parents with resources, events and information
- Communicate with parents at their school
- Collaborate and bring back feedback and suggestions from parents, teachers and counselors to the Families Connected Parent Advisory Group
- Serve as a liaison between BCHD, PTA and each respective school site
Parent Advisory Group Members:
- Alta Vista Elementary: Aga ChenFu
- Beryl Heights Elementary: Sara Thompson
- Birney Elementary Lisa Pet
- Jefferson Elementary Kelly Hendrickson
- Lincoln Elementary: N/A
- Madison Elementary: Kari Chatterji
- Tulita Elementary: Carrie Gonzales
- Washington Elementary: Elieta Cho
- Parras Middle School:Jill Millestein
- Adams Middle School: Janis Byars
- Redondo Union High School: Sarah Straton, Linda Buck
- Hermosa Vista: N/A
- Hermosa Valley: Jennifer Buchsbaum
- Grand View Elementary: N/A
- Meadows Elementary: Alice Kuo, Tara Tzirlin
- Pacific Elementary: Amanda Kresser
- Pennekamp Elementary: N/A
- Robinson Elementary: Laurie Phan, Yea-lan Chiang
- Manhattan Beach Middle School: Kate Manuel
- Mira Costa High School: Lisa Hardimon, Autumn Stephens
- Rolling Hills Preparatory School: Liz Glozman