Launched by Beach Cities Health District (BCHD) in 2007, LiveWell Kids is a comprehensive school well-being program developed specifically for elementary school students (K-5). The program was originally created in response to a high rate of obesity at the time – 20 percent in 2007 – among Redondo Beach elementary school students. Today, due to the partnership between Beach Cities Health District and Redondo Beach Unified School District, the obesity rate has fallen to just 6.4% while state and national averages continue to rise.
The LiveWell Kids Garden and Nutrition programs have combined to create a hybrid, farm-to-table program. The initiative is comprised of six, 30-minute interactive lessons, which focus on educating elementary school students on the process and benefits of growing their own food and making healthy eating choices. All lessons are delivered in the fresh air of the school gardens by trained parent volunteers. Throughout the year, Garden Angel volunteers maintain the gardens.
Lesson content will be available as each lesson approaches.
- Lesson 1: Harvesting Fresh Foods from the Garden
- Lesson 2: Planting Seasonal Foods
- Lesson 3: Soil, Sodium and Minerals
- Lesson 4: Harvesting Cool Season Crops
- Lesson 5: Pollination and Seeds
- Lesson 6: Warm Season Planting
Try some of these healthy and delicious LiveWell Kids Recipes!
- Composting tips and resources
- Learn about our water system at West Basin – free public tours
- Learn how to create a sustainable yard at Be Water Wise
- The American Horticultural Society
- Find answers to gardening questions from a reputable educational source
Local Garden-Related Workshops:
- Information about healthy eating from MyPlate
- CDC child nutrition facts and resources
- CDC water intake facts
- CDC physical activity facts
- How to enjoy more fruits and vegetables from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- TedX video: Food marketing to children
- Ted Talk video: Teach every child about food by Jamie Oliver
Childhood Obesity Decline in Redondo Beach
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health in partnership with Beach Cities Health District. Recent Trends in Childhood Obesity Prevalence in the Redondo Beach Unified School District: A Case Study; June 2020.
LiveWell Kids Program Reports
Beach Cities Volunteer Day
For more information, please contact:
School Health Programs Coordinator, Garden
310-374-3426 ext. 8264
Tami Kachel, MPH
School Health Programs Coordinator, Nutrition
310-374-3426 ext. 8354
Interested in becoming a Garden Angel volunteer for the LiveWell Kids Program? Apply today!