HEALTH UPDATE: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
REVISED July 10, 2020
COVID-19 Updates in LA County – On July 1, a revised Health Officer Order aligned with Governor Newsom’s directives and required the closure of the following for at least 21 days:
- Indoor, in-person dining at restaurants
- Indoor museums, indoor children’s museums, and indoor operations at zoos and aquariums
- Cardrooms and satellite wagering facilities
The Health Officer Order also requires businesses with three or more known cases of COVID-19 within the workplace over the span of 14 days, to report the outbreak to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. Employers who have one known case within the workplace must have a protocol that requires that person to self-isolate at home and anyone exposed to self-quarantine. Read the Health Officer Order here. View what's open in LA County.
About COVID-19 - The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) updated the list of underlying medical conditions that put individuals at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19.
Testing – Appointments for COVID-19 testing at Los Angeles County and Los Angeles City sites have been filling up quickly. The county is strongly encouraging residents who have insurance to first contact their primary care provider for testing. If you are unable to receive testing through your provider, please continue to check the site for availability at Los Angeles County or Los Angeles City sites, or make an appointment at a state-operated or community testing site such as CVS by visiting covid19.lacounty.gov/testing.
Testing is available to all residents at Los Angeles City sites. Testing at all Los Angeles County sites including the BCHD site is available for symptomatic persons and asymptomatic persons who have a chronic condition or are an essential worker. We recognize the importance of COVID-19 tests during these unprecedented times and apologize for any inconvenience.
- Find updates for LA County, California and the United States
- Learn about the Health Officer Orders from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- Find guidance and prevention tips including information on physical distancing and cloth face coverings
- The best community and individual defense against COVID-19 is washing our hands frequently, avoiding touching our eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands, self-isolating if you are sick, practicing physical distancing, especially by staying at home, and wearing a clean cloth face covering when in contact with others from outside your household. Cloth face coverings are not a replacement for these evidence-based measures; they are an additional tool that may be used to protect us from exposure to COVID-19 when used properly.
- Learn the eligibility requirements and how to schedule an appointment for testing through LA County
- Find more information on testing through your health care provider
- Learn more about the Isolation and Quarantine orders from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- Find tips to help those in need during COVID-19
- View our Neighbors Helping Neighbors guidelines video
- Donate to the Beach Cities COVID-19 Fund
- While we continue to stay the course to slow the spread of COVID-19, we plan for recovery, as a nation, state, county and South Bay community
- Learn more about the state and county's roadmap to recovery
- View sector-specific reopening protocols from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health for businesses and employers
- Find the latest tips and resources related to COVID-19
- View our COVID-19 dashboard that provides an overview of cases in Los Angeles County and the Beach Cities
- Background on the novel coronavirus including symptoms and groups who are at higher risk for experiencing severe illness from COVID-19
Updates from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health | LA County COVID-19 Mapping Applications | Updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention | Mental Health Resources for Disease Outbreaks
DOWNLOADABLE BCHD RESOURCES:
Handwashing Tips (11x17) | Handwashing Tips (8.5x11) | Physical Distancing ( 11x17) | Physical Distancing (8.5x11) | Need Help (8.5x11) | Kindness Card | COVID-19 Glossary | Care Packages | How to Help | Coloring Page
OTHER DOWNLOADABLE RESOURCES:
Coping with Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks | NAMI COVID-19 Resource and Information Guide
For more information on COVID-19, visit:
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
California COVID-19 Response - covid19.ca.gov
California Department of Public Health
Los Angeles County COVID-19 Response - covid19.lacounty.gov
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
World Health Organization