HEALTH UPDATE: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
REVISED September 30, 2020
Virtual Safe in the South Bay Series: LiveWell during COVID-19
Monday, Oct. 19, 5 – 6 p.m.
Beach Cities Health District’s Safe in the South Bay Series is bringing health experts, cities, chambers, schools and community members together around this fast-moving pandemic. The live-streamed series will cover a variety of COVID-19 topics, including testing, navigating the new normal, mental health and personal resilience.
William Kim, M.D., Chief Medical Advisor, Beach Cities Health District
David Hart, Ph.D., Director of Community Health, Always Best Care South Bay/West Los Angeles
Jason Johnson, Ed.D., Superintendent, Hermosa Beach City School District
Maureen Hunt, President and CEO, Hermosa Beach Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau
COVID-19 Updates: On September 29, after a motion was approved by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health will plan to open the school waiver program for in-person instruction for grades TK-2. The program will begin accepting applications in early October for 30 schools per week and prioritize the issuance of waivers to schools with higher percentages of students qualified for free/reduced meals. Superintendents must submit school district waiver requests to re-open for approval by the local Health Officer.
About COVID-19: The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health highlights smoking as a risk factor for serious illness from COVID-19 because smoking harms every system in the body and causes both cardiovascular disease and pulmonary disease. People who smoke are two to four times more likely to become seriously ill from COVID-19 (i.e. requiring hospitalization, being admitted to the ICU, needing mechanical ventilation and dying) when compared to those who did not smoke. For more information and cessation resources, click here.
- Find updates for LA County, California and the United States
- Learn about the Health Officer Orders from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- Find guidance and prevention tips including information on physical distancing and cloth face coverings
- The best community and individual defense against COVID-19 is washing our hands frequently, avoiding touching our eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands, self-isolating if you are sick, practicing physical distancing, especially by staying at home, and wearing a clean cloth face covering when in contact with others from outside your household. Cloth face coverings are not a replacement for these evidence-based measures; they are an additional tool that may be used to protect us from exposure to COVID-19 when used properly.
- Learn the eligibility requirements and how to schedule an appointment for testing through Los Angeles County
- Find more information on testing through your health care provider
- Learn more about the Isolation and Quarantine orders from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- Find tips to help those in need during COVID-19
- View our Neighbors Helping Neighbors guidelines video
- Donate to the Beach Cities COVID-19 Fund
- While we continue to stay the course to slow the spread of COVID-19, we plan for recovery, as a nation, state, county and South Bay community
- Learn more about the state and county's roadmap to recovery
- View sector-specific reopening protocols from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health for businesses and employers
- Find the latest tips and resources related to COVID-19
- View our COVID-19 dashboard that provides an overview of cases in Los Angeles County and the Beach Cities
- Background on the novel coronavirus including symptoms and groups who are at higher risk for experiencing severe illness from COVID-19
Updates from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health | LA County COVID-19 Mapping Applications | Updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention | Mental Health Resources for Disease Outbreaks
DOWNLOADABLE BCHD RESOURCES:
Handwashing Tips (11x17) | Handwashing Tips (8.5x11) | Physical Distancing ( 11x17) | Physical Distancing (8.5x11) | Need Help (8.5x11) | Kindness Card | COVID-19 Glossary | Care Packages | How to Help | Coloring Page | Workplace Exposure FAQ
OTHER DOWNLOADABLE RESOURCES:
Coping with Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks | NAMI COVID-19 Resource and Information Guide
For more information on COVID-19, visit:
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
California COVID-19 Response - covid19.ca.gov
California Department of Public Health
Los Angeles County COVID-19 Response - covid19.lacounty.gov
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
World Health Organization