Masking at Schools
With the State issuing the new guidance on TK-12 schools, the layering of safety protections is critical to protect vulnerable children, teachers and staff at schools. Starting March 12, indoor masking at schools will no longer be required. However, the State and the County are strongly recommending indoor masking for students, teachers and staff, regardless of vaccination status, until transmission is lower.
The County is also aligning with the State in revising isolation and quarantine requirements for TK-12 schools. Schools must continue to require COVID-19 cases to isolate and a negative test will be required to exit isolation after day five. Masking and testing for asymptomatic students remaining at schools during their quarantine period are strongly recommended. View the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health TK-12 Schools COVID-19 Toolkit here.
COVID-19 School & City Testing
Beach Cities Health District (BCHD) is wrapping up its final days of the 2021-2022 school year supporting Hermosa Beach City School District (HBCSD), Manhattan Beach Unified School District (MBUSD) and Redondo Beach Unified School District (RBUSD) with COVID-19 testing for the following persons on an appointment-only basis:
- Student athletes
- Staff requiring weekly testing
- Students and staff who are symptomatic
- Students and staff who are close contacts to a known case
- Students and staff participating in optional weekly testing
Starting Monday, June 6, BCHD’s testing operations at 514 N. Prospect Ave., Redondo Beach, located in the former Child Development Center will be reduced to the following final days from 2-5 p.m.:
Monday, June 6, 2022
Tuesday, June 7, 2022
Wednesday, June 8, 2022
Friday, June 10, 2022
Monday, June 13, 2022
Wednesday, June 15, 2022
Friday, June 17, 2022
(After June 17, 2022, BCHD will no longer be offering COVID-19 testing.)
- You will need an appointment to be tested. Walk-ups will not be accepted. If you have tested at this location before, a distinct appointment will need to be made each time.
- BCHD COVID-19 testing is processed with Fulgent Genetics, which is a lab-based PCR test. Results will be provided to the email address on file within 24-48 hours.
- Testing is provided at no-cost to you through billing your insurance provider. If you have insurance, please be ready to provide that information when you register.
- Please see the FAQs for more information about the test, receiving results and more.
COVID-19 Symptom Screening at Schools in 2021-22
In the 2021-22 school year, school districts are able to have students and families self-screen before accessing campus. Families are still encouraged to do daily temperature checks at home.
Learn more about the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health’s Screening Exposure Decision Pathway
Symptom Assessment Tool during the 2020-21 School Year
In 2020, Beach Cities Health District partnered with Children’s Hospital Los Angeles to provide a Symptom Assessment Tool to eight school districts, giving students and staff the option to conduct symptom screening on their mobile device before entering school.
- El Segundo, Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, MBX, Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Santa Monica/Malibu and Torrance utilized the Symptom Assessment Tool during the 2020-21 school year
- For all schools combined, there were 356,860 total uses of the screener from 1/1/2021 through 6/30/21
- 276,512 (77%) were students and 80,352 (23%) were employees
- Of those, 349,813 (98%) indicated low-risk of COVID exposure and 7,056 (2%) of the total screens resulted in a high-risk indication
Health Guidance and Protocols for Schools
- Reopening Protocols for K-12 Schools: Appendix T1
- Protocol for Organized Youth Sports: Appendix S
- Exposure Management Plan for K-12 Schools
- Protocol for COVID-19 Exposure Management Plan in Early Care and Education Sites
- Protocol for Programs Providing Day Care for School-Aged Children
- TK-12 Schools COVID-19 Toolkit
- Additional Guidance from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
This phone line provides information and referrals for school families and staff. To reach the School Well-Being Line, please call 310-374-3426 and press Option 2. Beginning Monday, August 16th, the hours for the 2021-22 academic year will be Monday - Thursday: 8 am - 4 pm and Friday: 8 am - 12 pm.
BCHD Supporting Schools and the Community During COVID-19
2021-2022 School District Plans
Click on school logo to view district plans.
Let's Stay in Touch
For the latest health information from Beach Cities Health District, sign up here for the parent newsletter.