The World Health Organization (WHO) defines health as a state of “complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” In the Beach Cities, physical health not only includes physical expressions of disease, such as obesity, diabetes and asthma, but also includes diseases of the brain such as Alzheimer’s and dementia.
While the Beach Cities remains a physically active community with a low overall obesity and diabetes rate, other physical ailments such as heart disease, Alzheimer’s and dementia remain elevated in adults ages 18+.
To view the data and read the full Community Health Report 2022 visit, www.bchd.org/healthreport.
2022-2025 Strategic Objectives
- Increase exercise participation across the lifespan
- Increase fruit and vegetable consumption across the lifespan
- Promote brain health across the lifespan
- Promote healthy sleep across the lifespan
- Reduce percentage of children and adults who are obese or overweight
Objectives are included as examples of planning goals and are not meant to be an exhaustive list.